Every Other Thursday (1/5 thru 4/27) at BJ’s Restaurant in Gaylord | 6pm to 9pm
Instructional Series Calendar
- Instructional Series Flies: Deer Hair Frog
- Featured Speaker: Tim Cwalisnki, a Senior Fisheries Biologist with the MIDNR, will be giving a presentation on the state of trout streams in the Headwaters TU territory, followed up by a Q&A session.
- Instructional Series Flies: Brown Drake Parachute Dry (MI Style)
- Featured Speaker: Ray Schmidt of Double SS Outdoors, longtime owner of Schmidt Outfitters on the Manistee, and fly tying innovator.
- Instructional Series Flies: Otsego Mouse
- Featured Speaker: “Big Fish” Bob Slezak will be giving a presentation on fly fishing in New Zealand.
- Featured Speaker: Author, Ann Miller, will give a presentation on Mayfly identification- don’t miss this one!
Tie One On Agenda:
Grab a bite to eat, catch up with friends and make new ones!
Welcome and Introduction
Learn about whats going on at Headwaters TU!
Instructional Series Fly Taught
Each week we will teach you how to tie two fly patterns, starting with novice patterns and techniques, and building towards advanced patterns and techniques by the end of the program. The fly patterns we’ve chosen (see list below) are not only effective on streams in our area, but in trout streams around the world. All materials needed for these will be supplied free of charge by Headwaters TU. We also have enough vises and tools for up to 25 tyers. If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to tie flies, this is what you’ve been waiting for!
Each Tie One on we’ll have a featured guest after the instructional series flies have been taught. Featured guests range from celebrity fly tyers, local biologists, historians, and angling experts.
Open Tying and Socializing
We’ll wrap up the night with several TU volunteers going around the room helping beginners to work on their fly tying skills, while intermediate and advanced tyers enjoy social fly tying and debauchery
1/19/17: Instructional Series Flies: Clouser Style Woolly Bugger, MI Skunk Streamer Featured Speaker: Erick Johnson of Scientific Anglers will be teaching us everything we ever wanted to know about fly lines. 2/2/17: Instructional Series Flies: Otsego Ant Dry Fly, PT Nymph Featured Speaker: Andy Partlo, owner of the Old Au Sable Fly Shop in Grayling, MI, fly fishing guide. 2/16/17: Instructional Series Flies: Rubber-Legged Stone Dry Featured Speaker: Josh Greenberg, owner of Gates Au Sable Lodge, fly fishing guide, and author. 3/2/17 (CANCELLED DUE TO POOR ROAD CONDITIONS!): Instructional Series Flies: Glo Bug, San Juan Worm Featured Speaker: Russ Maddin, fly fishing guide with Hawkins Outfitters and fly tying innovator. 3/16/17: Instructional Series Flies: Glo Bug, San Juan Worm Featured Speaker: Tim Riley, fly fishing guide and owner of Fish Bum Outfitters in Grayling, MI who will be giving a presentation on the history of the Au Sable river.